Tuesday 27 December 2011

A new season with so many more awkward opportunities!

I’ve decided to re-open this blog even though I’m (unfortunately) not doing another season. I am now trying to get a masters at university in London but of course I am constantly desperate to get back out to the snow! So, when in freshers week I saw an advert to go out for cheap with the university medics I jumped at the chance. I saw the medics as an economical means to an end to get back out and pretend to be a seasonnaire for another week. However, I hadn’t thought this through carefully enough… things like the 25 hour coach journey with people I didn’t know and staying in a hotel room with 3 other strangers. Awkward.

The bus was due to leave from Hammersmith at 9pm so my mother kindly drove me and parked round the corner from the drop off point in viewing distance. The awkwardness grew inside me until I couldn’t get out of the car, especially not with about 3 or 4 people I didn’t know standing there, and no bus to get on and hide! Picture the scene – my mother and I crouching and hiding in the car 100 yards away from a collection of laughing students ready to go on holiday together, as friends. We peaked over the dashboard occasionally to see if the coach had arrived and giggled awkwardly. When the bus finally did arrive the only thing I had to do was get me and my bags across the tarmac…..easier said than done. In all I had a handbag, bootbag, skibag, and suitcase also adorned with ski jacket, hat and scarf.

Things went everywhere. I had bags hanging off my arms and around my neck while I dragged myself up to the medics and they looked at me like I was a grotesque lurch character from the adams family! All in all a good introduction to how my week was to continue. The next social minefield to negotiate was where to sit on the coach. Add to this problem the fact that I get motion sick and need to be right at the front like a child; there you have me, on the first row, on my own.

This is just a starter taster for the new few posts about my awkward week, so “stay tuned” for stories about my sleeping arrangements, being farted on and being watched on the loo….

No comments:

Post a Comment